IronPython-0.6 is now available!

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Wed Aug 11 10:58:51 EDT 2004

John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote in
news:mailman.1501.1092232601.5135.python-list at python.org:

> As someone with *no* experience with .NET but with some python
> extension code I may one day find myself trying to port to IronPython,
> I wonder: does anyone have an idea of what is involved in porting a
> python extension module to IronPython / .NET.  Any thoughts on how the
> use of extension building code interacts with this, eg boost::python,
> pycxx or SWIG?

I think you will find that it will be pretty much a case of rewriting from
scratch. Your extension module will need to be a .NET assembly and this
means writing managed code so you can pretty well forget about any existing
libraries. IronPython isn't likely to be supporting anything close to the
Python C Api.

If you really have to use an existing library then you can maybe write a
wrapper to make it generally usable in .NET. Once your library is usable in
.NET it should become usable by IronPython simply by importing it (assuming
of course that we are talking of some future, more stable version of
IronPython).