Upgrading to 2.3 from 2.2, questions

Matthew K Jensen mattjensen at timetospare.net
Tue Aug 31 02:03:55 EDT 2004

"Robert Oschler" <no-mail-please at nospam.com> wrote in message news:<gOGdnchgidt_N67cRVn-uA at adelphia.com>...
> Hello,
>
> (Note: if there is a FAQ that covers this issue just give me the URL.  I
> checked python.org's General and Windows FAQ's and didn't see anything.)
>
> I am about to upgrade from Python 2.2 to 2.3.  Here are a few questions:
>
> - Do I need to uninstall 2.2 first?
> - Are there any paths I should add to my Win 2k PATH environment variable?
> - I am running on Windows 2000 and I have several site-packages installed.
> These were installed using individual one-click installation programs (thank
> you module writers).  Do I need to rerun each of the installations again,
> after I upgrade?  Or, is there a directory or two I can simply copy over?
> - Anything I should do before upgrading to preserve my current setup, or
> other caveats?
>
> Thanks.

It's about time I try to give answers. Here I go...

1. No, and as a side note the GUI installer for windows gives you an
option to backup a lot of old python stuff in case you want to.
2. Did you have to with 2.2? I'm going to say no and stick with it
unless someone out there has something.
3. Not sure, but I'm leaning towards yes.
4. See #1 and back stuff up yourself too (just in case you need
another copy of things).