Mysql in Python?

Simon John simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:56:13 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:

> > Using PHP native database functions is a very bad idea. All
experencied
> > programmers use more abstract db wrappers like ADOdb
> > (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/).

> Interesting.  Every PHP app I've ever seen uses the native functions,
> but I haven't looked at many fancy ones.

Yeah, same here, I've always just used the Oracle or MySQL native
functionality, and wouldn't call myself unexperienced! I've just never
had the need for a database abstraction layer (it's always been
clear-cut what database I will use, and stick with).

> > There is no PHP standard templating system. PHP itself is a
template
> > framework!

> I'm not sure what the distinction is supposed to be?

PHP4 has it's own templating system (allowing repeatable blocks etc)
things like Nuke are more advanced, like a CMS. I prefer the more basic
functionality that I can control better myself, rather than having to
work to a spec enforced by third-party software.

And the ADOdb page says that to use it with MySQL, you have to install
the mysql-python (MySQLdb) module, so doesn't really help here, as we
haven't even got that far!