just ignore Guido's "rejections" [Re: Alternative decorator syntax decision]

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 09:46:56 EDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:04:28 +1000, Anthony Baxter
<anthonybaxter at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're misinterpreting what I said - I said that "if you want a form
> he's rejected,
> you need _damn_ strong arguments to back it up". I was replying to someone
> saying that it's not necessary to pay attention to Guido's rejections of various
> forms, and pointing out that in fact you _do_ need to pay attention to them. If
> there's a community concensus for an already-rejected form, but no-one has
> bothered addressing the existing concerns, then it's something of a waste of
> time.

I'm not trying to inflame this discussion, but that doesn't appear to
tally with Guido's comments -- when discussing a community consensus
regarding list-after-def, he asked if there was a consensus that his
concerns with that syntax were incorrect, which suggests that he'd
reconsider his concerns (though that may not change them).
Additionally, two people (myself one) addressed his concerns
point-by-point on python-dev, and Guido didn't respond, except to say
that he doesn't want a hundred people arguing point-by point.
>From all this and his other comments, I gather that Guido wants a
community consensus on one syntax (with an implementation); he'll look
at it (even if he previously rejected it), and the current
@-decorators, and make a final decision on which will be kept