Encryption between Python & PHP

Dan Sommers me at privacy.net
Sun Aug 8 14:19:30 EDT 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:37:33 +0100,
Geoff Caplan <geoff at variosoft.com> wrote:

> Dan,

Not just me, thank goodness.  The entire Python community.  ;-)

DS> I can't help much with your other questions, but I do know about this
DS> one.  By definition, blowfish is blowfish is blowfish.  Any (properly
DS> implemented) blowfish library will be compatible with another; if you
DS> encode something with one library, you will be able to decode it with
DS> the other.

> Thanks for that. Looks like I should persist and track down the
> problem. Perhaps something to do with the keys? When I try to
> decrypt I am getting binary garbage out instead of an ascii string.

> Any pointers about where to start looking would be welcome!

I guess the usual pointers apply:  Create the absolute smallest program
that fails.  Ask the vendors/authors of the library and/or programming
language you're using.  Post/Email the code, the input, the actual
output, what you expected to be the output, and why you expected that
output.

I'm pretty sure that counterpane (blowfish' creator, IIRC) has test
vectors, too.  If you can encrypt *or* decrypt them, but not both, that
points at one part of your application or another as well.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan Sommers