Larry Wall & Cults

norman werner norman.werner at student.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Aug 30 04:47:12 EDT 2004

> Well, let's see how your clear your mind was today.
>
> Either it's a joke, in which case it is clear to all
> that it doesn't really mean troll, or it's not a joke
> in which case I obviously don't know Esperanto.

I read it as an 'two-in-one'.
A (not funny) joke about the troll and an infantile  sideremark about
eo spreading more half-truths.
"universal language" - Whats that? What is a universal language ...
Besides expressing basic wishes for  food, attention or love. And
where is/was the relation between the troll and eo?

> Here are the facts:
>
> 1. It's a joke, as you surmised.
>
> 2. I know Esperanto.

i read it _later_ . From youre joke it seemed more like you "heard of
esperanto".

So I hereby withdraw the accusation of stupidity - standing firm only
on the not-funny-front.

> Now can you perhaps see that your first comment in the poor
> translation of your own Esperanto is invalid and offensive?

Allright - it was not a translation - the error was to call it an
translation. But since only a extremly small minority of readers could
read both - it seemed  ok for me to change not the basic-message but
the way to express this message. E.g. I could not see the relevance
for a non-eo-speaker of eo having a x or not. So i changed this in the
"translation".

> By the way, to those not fluent in both languages, what this
> fellow really wrote was more along the lines of "Please do not
> joke about things you don't know about.  Xah Lee certainly --
> because Esperanto has no "x" -- is not Esperanto.  And your
> joke is merely stupid."

Yep.

> If you're going to accuse me of stupidity, please at least
> get your own translation and logic skills in working order
> first.

At least i was not the only who misunderstood you.

And please; Since you elaborated on my "translation" - it's ok to
criticize.
But the same does not hold true for my logic-skill-malfunction - so
either do not diagnose it or elaborate more on it.

Norman