Pyhton Interpreter Startup time

Cousin Stanley CousinStanley at HotMail.Com
Thu Aug 12 11:10:43 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote ....

> Neil Benn wrote:
>
>>          I'm looking at a small app which would need a very quick
>> startup time for the Python interpreter.  It doesn't do much (copying
>> and caching of files, no GUI) but I need the Python interpreter to start
>> up very quickly (<1 second on a Windows box).
>
> What kind of machine do you have?
>
> On mine, Python starts up in about 0.06 seconds...
>
> This primitive test shows these results on a Windows XP machine
> (it won't work with Windows 98 as it can't chain commands on the
> command line like that, but you could but it in a batch file).
>
> c:\>echo. | time & python -c "import time; print time.time()"
> The current time is:  8:59:59.67
> Enter the new time:
> 1092315599.73
>
> This is a fairly fast machine (Athlon 2500+) but I really
> doubt slower machines would take much longer than 1 second
> unless they are *really* old.
>
> -Peter

  This variation on Peter's timing
  is from a 5-year-old 250 MHz Compaq
  running Linux/Debian ...

  sk at cpq1 :  ~/c  $ ./gtod & python -c "import time ;
  print '    Python ....' , time.time()"
[1] 1677

    Number of seconds ......... 1092323003
    Number of microseconds .... 194433