Python future performance and speed

Neuruss luismg at gmx.net
Sun Aug 22 18:50:21 EDT 2004

> Statements like that serve only to demonstrate the narrowness of
> thought of the writer.

Excuse me?
It seems that you're missing the point. There's nothing wrong with my
way of thinking, which is not "narrow" at all.
I love Python. It's an excellent, fun, clear, well designed language
and it is fast enough for 90% of the cases. But you can't deny that
for some problem domains, it is slow. Very slow.

The fact that some programmers can resort to c to speed up parts of
the code is not convincing to me. I don't like C, I like python, and
I'd love to see it performing at much better speed.

I didn't want to start a silly thread to discuss wether python is slow
or not. It is. Period.
But it doesn't mean that it is useles or bad. Again, I think Python
rocks, but I want more, and as far as I know, many people want more.

That's why I wanted to know more about all those exciting projects
aimed to improve python's performance.
I love to read comments from people like Armin Rigo, who says that
Psyco is the first step for world dominance of python (I love that
attitude!).
Or people like Mike Salib, who says that Python will be faster than
C/C++ in two years, thanks to research on type inference and compiler
improvements.

All the other comments on this thread, regarding the main limitation
for python's acceptance are true, but speed is critical, and this is
were all efforts should be concentrated.

So my intention when I started this thread, was to learn more about
these projects, read other oppinions, get some news, etc... I didn't
mean to start a a nonsense discussion!