On consensus decision-making (was Re: Alternative decorator syntax - POLL RESULTS SO FAR - ARE WEDONE?)

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 01:23:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:43:38 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Until very recently, there appeared to be a resounding "NO"
> from the BDFL himself to any thought that C1 might ever
> be accepted.  It was rejected early and rather explicitly,
> if I recall correctly.

Yes.

> Given that, it shouldn't be surprising in the least that no one
> has put up their hand to do something which would appear to
> be a waste of time.

This simply means that any arguments in favour of this form would need
to be strong, _and_ take into account (and refute) Guido's reasons for
originally rejecting this form.

> Has anything really changed?  Would it now be correct to say
> that C1 has a serious chance of being accepted if someone would
> just update the implementation to the state and quality (?) of
> the other two?

I'm just confused that a lot of people seem to think that voting in
favour of C1 would achieve anything. Without a decent set of arguments
(such as the impressive piece Robert wrote on the J2 form), and an
implementation, voting for a form such as C1 is *entirely* pointless.

(Of course, there's also my cunning plot to use this particular issue
to get a couple more people involved in Python's development process -
we now have at least one person who's obviously a good person to write
up future PEPs, and another who's now delved into Python's innards in
a non-trivial way.... moohahaha)