Python secure?

M. Clift noone at here.com
Sun Aug 15 19:28:22 EDT 2004

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I know I have a long way to go until a produce anything that someone would
want to see the source code for. I do, however have an idea that I would not
want others to easily see the source code of. I just don't want to spend a
couple of years developing something that is not to be open source and by
choosing the wrong language have my efforts wasted.

My reason for choosing Python was one, that it is free, so if my efforts
amount to nothing I haven't wasted money, two, that it is supposed to be an
easy language when compared to some others and three, that my application
when finished, probably wouldn't sell for that much and not in any great
quantities for me to gamble spending something like £1000 on Visual C /
++ this that and the other or whatever.

If others want to make software open source, I salute them. I don't wish to
do this however.

Of course anyone can gain access to the program with the right tools, I just
don't
want to hand it to them on a plate.

One thing has come up and that is when I spoke of secure I presumed that
compiled
C source code software was secure and I was asking how did python compare to
this.
>From the posts, however, it appears that you people in the know (seasoned
programmers)
speak of  the way the code is written / language as playing a large part in
making it secure,
as it can always be reverse engineered to some extent. I'm not too bothered
by making
the code difficult for anyone to understand, it's more that I want to make
it harder in the first
place and once it's compiled anyone who reverse engineers it (in most
countries?) is breaking the law.

Also without thinking earlier I hit the reply button instead of the reply to
group on OE - sorry
if anyone got unwanted post :  )

Thanks