Compiling disutil modules on Windows

Geoff Caplan geoff at variosoft.com
Sat Aug 7 16:44:48 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

Enjoying the process of picking up Python, but have come to an
unexpected grinding halt.

I am using the latest ActivePython release on Win2k. When I try to run

python setup.py install

on a disutil package, I get the error:

"Python was built with version 6 of Visual Studio, and extensions need
to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it isn't
installed."

Assuming this is correct, I find it mind-boggling that Active State
have chosen to use an expensive and discontinued commercial compiler!

I am aware that MS have released a free version of the latest Visual
Studio 7 compiler. I have installed this but disutils doesn't
recognise it. I can't find a free release of the MVC++ compiler: does
such a thing exist?

I assumed this would be a FAQ but can't find much in the archives. My
knowledge of C compiling is close to zero, so I am stuck. Any
advice would be much appreciated: this is a show-stopper.