generating uuids / guids

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Aug 9 16:48:18 EDT 2004

In article <2nhnrfF13jq0U1 at uni-berlin.de>,
Jon Perez  <jbperez808 at wahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there a Python function that works on all platforms (not just Win32)
>to generate such in the DCE / Microsoft format?
>
>If not present, this looks like it would be a very Pythonic addition
>to the standard library.

Sure it would.  Best way to start is to create a stand-alone third-party
library that implements the full DCE spec.  Once it has proven its
utility and stability, send a note to python-dev suggesting that it be
added.

Keep in mind that UUID generation is a somewhat complex and tricky
business will likely require some kind of C library support (to get the
MAC address, to check if there's already a system-level UUID/GUID
generator present, to provide a "good" UUID if there's no network card,
and so on).

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com