Python indentation deters newbies?

Eric Pederson whereU at now.com
Sat Aug 14 04:27:28 EDT 2004

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	A source line is limited to 80 characters
> 	Statements start in column 7
> 	Statements end in column 72 (or was it 71)
> 	Columns 73 (72) through 80 can be used for an option sequence
> number
> 	If a statement is too long for one line, you put a continuation
> mark character (any character can be used) in column 6 of the next line,
> then continue with the statement
> 	Put a "C" in column 1 to start a comment line
> 	The target of GOTO, IF, and DO loops is identified by a numeric
> label.
> 	Labels are up to 5 digits long, located in columns 1 to 5
>
> 	Oh, and within a statement, white space is ignored -- the
> following are the same statement:
>
> 	circum = 2.0 * radius * PI
> 	c           irc um=2        .     0*r ad i u s*P             I
>
> 	And one the following is an assignment, the other is the
> beginning of a DO loop:
>
> 	do 10 i = 3.   14159
> 	do10i = 3,14159

Am I the only one who gets nostalgic from this?

I mean them were the days, when code was really |in code|

TIP:  And if your VW won't start you take a business card and run it between the ignition points to clean them off.

I always felt I should be able to visually scan the holes in the punch cards and instantly see the logic (and bugs...)
And now, well, what the h____ is an object?

Eric Pederson
http://www.songzilla.blogspot.com
domainNot="@something.com"
domainIs=domainNot.replace("s","z")
ePrefix="".join([chr(ord(x)+1) for x in "do"])
mailMeAt=ePrefix+domainIs