Are decorators really that different from metaclasses...

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 07:35:50 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:34:52 -0400, Paul Morrow <pm_mon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>Have you seen a significant number of cases where a function uses
>>>__xxx__ attributes as local variables?  Have you seen any?
>

> Locals, no. But builtins, yes. For instance, __import__.
>
> So your proposal suddently has to deal with looking up _only_ locals,
> not globals or builtins.
>
> I have asked this indirectly, and Jeff Epler's asked it more
> obviously, so, to restate it:
>
> Have you actually got a concrete, written down proposal? Have you
> worked through how it might work, and what the impact on the language
> might be? I was hoping that you'd sit down and do what Bengt Richter
> did and posted to the newsgroup - worked out how this stuff works,
> under the hood, so that you weren't just hand-waving. Oh well.

Where would I put such a proposal?  Post it here?  And would it need to
include an implementation?  I'm new to the bowels of the Python system,
plus I've got a big project due this time next week, so it would be next
week before I could really dig into something like that.

I guess I'm just a hand-waiver for now.

Paul