ANN matplotlib-0.60.2: python graphs and charts

Jorl Shefner v451v at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 14:31:23 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.434.1089897874.5135.python-list at python.org>,
 John Hunter <jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>     Lou> Anyone have any experience running this on Mac OS X?  What
>     Lou> does it take to get it up and running.  I'm enticed.  Will
>     Lou> check it out on my own, too, but any info welcome.  Thanks.
>
> Hi Lou,

> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5124458&forum_id=33405
> I just made some changes to setupext.py (matplotlib's config script)
> to accommodate the tk framework under OS X (borrowed from PIL's
> setup.py).  You can get the updated file from
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/setupext.py.

> Good luck!
> JDH

  This is great to hear and much appreciated!  I had tried so many times
(with several versions of matplotlib) get it running on OS X and always
ended in frustration.
   Incidentally, I did recently manage to get it working (but only by
installing the huge Scisoft binary bundle:
http://www.stecf.org/macosxscisoft/) which finally got matplotlib up and
running.  After using now for a few weeks, I've been hugely impressed
with the quality of the plots and its ease of use -- definitely worth
all the trouble to get it installed.

J.S.