Unpythonic Python

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 11:24:38 EDT 2004

David Abrahams wrote in news:uzn4j2s38.fsf at boost-consulting.com in
comp.lang.python:

>> That's not the problem.  I can download the file reliably from other
>> machines.

At the same time, using http ?

> Actually it appears that urllib is having some problem on Unix, at
> least the one from Python-2.2.x.  This fails on Both FreeBSD and
> Linux:
>
>   urllib.urlretrieve(
>         'http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/boost-cvsroot.tar.bz2',
>         'boost-cvsroot.tar.bz2')
>
> Trying again with Python 2.3 on Cygwin.

Is it possible the file is being (re) uploaded (via cvs) during your
cron job's download, thus truncating your download ?

Perhapse you should change to cvs:

  os.system( 'cvs ... ' )

FWIW, I tried downlading with IE using the link above I got a
truncated 6 and bit MB's (16:15 BST (UTC +0100)).

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/