PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Chas Emerick cemerick at snowtide.com
Wed Aug 18 10:33:17 EDT 2004

[...a lot of discussion about YA decorator syntax...]

I have no particular qualms about the syntax proposed by the OP:

def (callable)* blah (args):
	pass

However, I do remember GvR mentioning on python-dev that he did not
prefer such a syntax because it would break existing tools that
currently rigidly expect a regular [def blah (args)] function
definition.

I did want to note that, aside from Paul's constant hope for implicitly
typed functions based on their arguments (which we've already hashed to
fine little bits :-), all this decorator debate is about some very
minute syntax differences.  I suppose if that view makes me insensitive
to others' syntactic hangups, so be it... :-)

- Chas Emerick