PEP 263 status check

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 5 17:49:07 EDT 2004

John Roth wrote:
> PEP 263 is marked finished in the PEP index, however
> I haven't seen the specified Phase 2 in the list of changes
> for 2.4 which is when I expected it.
>
> Did phase 2 get cancelled, or is it just not in the
> changes document?

Neither, nor. Although this hasn't been discussed widely,
I personally believe it is too early yet to make lack of
encoding declarations a syntax error. I'd like to
reconsider the issue with Python 2.5.

OTOH, not many people have commented either way: would you
be outraged if a script that has given you a warning about
missing encoding declarations for some time fails with a
strict SyntaxError in 2.4? Has everybody already corrected
their scripts?

Regards,
Martin