python and ssh, scp on windows

Jaco Smuts JSmuts at clover.co.za
Tue Aug 31 02:52:01 EDT 2004

Hello there

The short version
question: I am looking for information, resources sample code on using ssh
and scp from a python program that will run on windows.

The longer version:
problem: My brother needs to update his website (hosted on a linux box)
using scp. He currently uses putty, pscp (on win 2k). The problem comes in
that the site is very large. Invariably his dial-up connection would
disconnect before all the files has been uploaded. Unfortunately to our
knowledge pscp does not have a resume mechanism when only some of the
files has been uploaded.

I thought I'd address this by creating a data structure resembling his
site structure and files (to be pickled for persistence), this would give
me the ability to
- keep record of when a file has last  been uploaded. Compare this to when
the file has last been updated and upload only upload updated files
- "restart" the upload should the connection fail before all files has
been uploaded.

I am considering simply calling pscp (putty secure copy) using popen2, or
something to that vain. Are there any better ways. (This is intended to be
a fairly simple script not a week project)

I have looked at paramiko, but it uses termios, which would limit me to
Unix's (just realised demo.py uses termios, so I might be wrong here.)

I've also looked at pyssh, but it's been stuck for a very long time at
version 0.2, does not support wrapping scp anymore and seems to have
issues on windows.

I suspect that twisted might provide me with a solution, but I don't
really know twisted and this just seems like a bit of an overkill? If that
is the way to go I am not closed to this thought, was just hoping for
something a bit simpler

Any  idea's, code, suggestions would greatly be appreciated

jaco