[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

vincent wehren vincent at visualtrans.de
Sat Aug 7 14:12:14 EDT 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> vincent wehren wrote:
>
>> This is on Windows XP Professional. This is a plain vanilla "limited
>> user" created via the user accounts tool in the control panel.
>

> Ok. I will try that.
>
> There is a policy AlwaysInstallElevated, with which the administrator
> can allow limited users to perform installations:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/alwaysinstallelevated.asp
>

> If the computer is in a domain, this policy can be controlled through
> group policy.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Martin, did you see my last remark in my previous post?:

 > MSI does have the notion of unprivileged users, but those are the
 > ones that can't write to System32, the All Users profile, and
 > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (i.e. non-Administrator, non-Power User users).
 > There is no provision (AFAICT) for user that can't write to their
 > own registry.

Yes. That makes sense. So I checked the registry with regedit.
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes" seems - for whatever reason - to be
busted for this particular user. At least I can't open it manually with
regedit, so my tentative guess is the same applies to the installer.
Sorry I didn't check this first!

--
Vincent Wehren