Larry Wall & Cults

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 26 11:25:32 EDT 2004

Xah Lee wrote:

>Larry Wall and Cults
>(Lazyness, Impatience and Hubris)
>200012
>
>Dear readers,
>
>Did you know that throughout history there's this thing called cult?
>It is a very interesting phenomenon. I don't have time to expound and
>teach, but will try to brief you.

<snipping lots of nonsense>

>How can we prevent heinous cults then? Stop bending truths. Education
>and rationalism. I'm starting my own cult to exterminate morons on
>this earth.  Two things are on the top of my agenda: Unixism and Perl.

Here's some entertaining "stuff" from his website.  Couldn't find what
he wants to replace UNIX with, though.

i as a troll is rather special because
i tend to put a final say on things, in
contrast with one-liner trolls i myself
despise. (In a sense i'm an anti-troll,
untroll, or an atrocious atroll.) At
first i balked at being branded a
troll. Now i revel it. I as a troll is
rather recent, beginning and getting
worse about in 1998. I have been using
online discussion medium since
1990. Perhaps one day i'll write "how i
became a troll". It is bound to be a
tragedy. --Xah Lee

Unix advocating morons, computing professionals, and info suckers, get
ready to be pissed off, but make yourself comfortable.

    Protocols, Resources, Mob rulez
    <http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/proto.html>

generic info on computing protocol specs and resources. SGML, XML, CSS,
TCP/IP, DNS, RFC, Unicode, etc. In the computing industry, especially
unix community, protocols becoming a stardard is not usually caused by
technical excellency, but being commonly in use. Those in common use is
usually a result of being free or non-proprietary, which more often than
not is technically poor.

Last week i bought a chain saw with a
twisted handle. Perhaps i wasn't
careful, but by accident it chopped one
of my arm off, then i thought to myself
"gosh, this is POWERFUL!". This seems to
be the fashionable mode of thinking
among the unixers or unixer-to-be, who
would equate power and flexibility with
rawness and complexity; disciplined by
repeated accidents. Such a tool would
first chop off the user's brain, molding
a mass of brainless imbeciles and
microcephalic charlatans the likes of
Larry Wall and Linus Torvald jolly
asses. --Xah Lee