Decorators: an outsider's perspective

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 17:56:37 EDT 2004

Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Paul Morrow wrote:
>
>> <says that classmethods should be done based on argument names>
>> Python was built (successfully) on the assumption that obvious
>> interpretations of the code obviate the need for declarations.  Why
>> wouldn't we continue with that mindset?
>

> One of the principles of Python is also "explicit is better than
> implicit". Your idea, though interesting, doesn't really seem to fit in
> with that.

I'm really not sure that those 'Zen' items were intended to be absolute
guiding principles.   For example, we don't (explicitly) declare
variables.  And I think that the way we indicate blocks of code (via
indentation) has a somewhat implicit flavor to it as well (it might be
arguably more explicit if we used curly braces or some such).

I think that a more appropriate principle here would be something like
'clear is better than ambiguous'.  Ideally, any given Python statement
should have only one interpretation, shared by the Python system, the
statement author, and anyone else who might someday read the statement.
Unfortunately, because we have recommended practices that are widely
used yet *not enforced by the Python system*, code that strays from the
recommended style can confuse --- or even worse, mislead --- the reader.

For example, if an experienced Python developer was reading someone's
code and saw the following method...

     class Foo:
	def setX(self, x):
		self.x = x

... I doubt that they would consider the possibility that setX might be
something other than an instance method of class Foo.  Instead, I
believe that they would most likely *assume* that the author followed
the recommended coding conventions.

But setX could be a static method or a class method, if the class later
declared it as such.  That's wonderfully flexible I know.  But I think
that we'd all be better off if we didn't have that particular freedom.