__name__ becoming read-write?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Mon Aug 23 11:36:06 EDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:49:41 GMT, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net>
wrote:

>Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.com> writes:
>
>> Did I hallucinate something about __name__ becoming read-write?
>
>For functions?  No, you didn't hallucinate that.
>
>> Not in alpha2.
>
>Indeed.  The changes were only checked in a couple of weeks ago.
>They'll be in alpha3.

Thanks for confirming I am not hullicinating.  This time, anyway.

My argument - obviously, I think - is that this as a stand-alone
change does enough to ease the pain of the current syntax, and is in
proportion to the problem.

The fact that some of think we are way, way out of proportion with the
direction now headed, having been previously established.

Art