age of Python programmers

Reid Nichol rnichol_rrc at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 02:07:01 EDT 2004

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Sakesun Roykiattisak wrote:
>
>> BTW, The histrogram suggest that python is not being used as the first
>> programming language as much as it should be.
>

> Indeed.
>
> Also the relatively high number of older programmers (> 50) surprises
> me. Personnaly I know only one programmer in that age group, all others
> are less than 40 years old. Possibly the fraction of older programmers
> is larger under Python programmers compared to other languages? Maybe
> that shouldn't be surprising: wisdom comes with age, as they say.

Although I am suprisd at that high ages of a lot of the people here I'm
not really suprised that the average is higher that would typically be
expected as I've found that when I mention the word "newsgroup" to the
other students when I was going to school (and even now with supposedly
other graduates), they just give me a confused look.  Perhaps it's just
where I went to school though or where I hang out, but it can't all be
coincidence.