function taking scalar or list argument

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Mon Aug 23 19:57:19 EDT 2004

Larry Bates wrote:

>You may want to take a look at isinstance() function.
>
>def twice(x):
>    if isinstance(x, list): return map(twice, x)
>    if isinstance(x, (int, float, str)): return 2*x
>    return None

Actually, I'd favor the try/except approach.  It's entirely reasonable
to think that, if this function might be passed either scalars or lists,
it may also be passed a non-list-based sequence object.  If you simply
try using map(), then it'll work correctly for any object that follows
the expected protocol, regardless of whether that object is (a subclass
of) list.  By explicitly demanding a list, you're needlessly limiting
the usefulness of the function.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International