[OT] Keyboard layout, was Re: PEP318

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 10:32:19 EDT 2004

Sion Arrowsmith <siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> As someone who's just started using a Mac for the first time(*),
> I'd like to add that it's not always plain-sailing on an English
> keyboard.

What's wrong with Mac keyboards?  I've used a number of Mac keyboards
over the past 15 or so years, and have found the variety of layouts to
be no better or worse (or more or less standardized) than any other
keyboards in general.  I'm currently using a 12" PowerBook and other
than finding the control key to be uncomfortably close to the space bar,
I find it perfectly reasonable for programming and emacs-ing.

> And I have a great
> aversion to remapping keyboards so that they generate characters
> other than those on the keycaps.)

Yes, that's evil.  I was just in the UK a couple of weeks ago and was
using a semi-UK keyboard.  As far as I could tell, the keycaps were
labeled with the UK layout, but the codes they generated were US style.
I touch-type, so as long as I ignored what was printed on the keycaps
and just typed normally, everything was fine.  But it's amazingly
difficult to ignore the printed keycaps.