Call for signatories for J2

Michael Sparks michaels at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 12:21:44 EDT 2004

> Robert Brewer wrote:
>> The patch is nearly complete;
>
> Patch against current CVS passes all the tests* and has been uploaded
> to SourceForge. I'm currently looking at how __future__ declarations
> work.

Patch against current CVS including __future__ statements/declarations
has now been created, tested and uploaded to SourceForge. All tests
pass.

For those interested this means the full patch now allows:

----------------------
from __future__ import decorators

def memoise(f):
   "dummy memoisation function"
   return f

class Foo:
   using:
      staticmethod
      memoise
   def Hoo(Who, *args):
      print "Yoo", Who

Foo.Hoo("HOO")
----------------------

For the __future__ work I followed the approach taken by
generators/yield in 2.2 . Using decorators without an explicit
import from __future__ results in a failure.

On a slightly different topic, when I was looking at how __future__
statments work, I must admit when I saw the following, it made me
smile:

> python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Apr  6 2004, 01:47:39)
[GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

Digging around the python source I must admit has been a pleasurable
experience (especially when finding nuggets like this! :). Whether or
not syntax J2 gets accepted or not, this has been fun - my compliments
to the python-dev team :)

Regards,

Michael.
Michael.Sparks at rd.bbc.co.uk
British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development
Kingswood Warren, Surrey KT20 6NP

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.