txt2xls

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:01:20 EDT 2004

In would like to convert very simple text files into .xls
files and I need some help.

Here is the format of a typical file:

# begin table.txt

This should go in the first row,
first column.

This should go in the first row,
second column.

====

This should go in the second row,
first column.

This should go in the second row,
second column.

====

This should go in the third row,
first column.

This should go in the third row,
second column.

# end table.txt

"====" separates different rows, whereas different colums are separated
by an empty line. table.txt should be converted into a table.xls
file containing a 3x2 table like this:

   ================================     ================================
   This should go in the first row,     This should go in the first row,
   first column.                        second column.
   --------------------------------     --------------------------------
   This should go in the second row,    This should go in the second row,
   first column.                        second column.
   This should go in the third row,     This should go in the third row,
   first column.                        second column.

I use OpenOffice on Linux, but I have no experience at all about the .xls
format, so I would welcome help/pointers and especially snippets of code ;)
TIA,

                  Michele Simionato