age of Python programmers

Ken Moore krm152 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 21:54:36 EDT 2004

Hi all,
 I'll be 64 8/28 and started life wiring boards for 402/419/407 and
other EAM equipment. Started programming 'real' computers starting
with an IBM 1401 Card system with 4k characters of memory using 1401
SPS (Symbolic Programming System) the assembler of the day. Graduated
to an IBM 360/30 with 3 2311 disk drives and COBOL and learned from
bitter experience why 'alter... goto' should be banished from
existence (I think its been obsoleted in current COBOL versions). Went
on from there to large mainframes and lots of IBM assembler, CICS, and
more COBOL. Dabbled with RPG and FARGO and probably a couple of
languages I've completely forgotten about.  Had a z80 machine custom
built for me in 1977 by ByteShop East in NYC and fooled around with GW
Basic. Discovered C in the early eighties and loved it. Graduated to
RadioShack TRS 80 model III's (it actually had a decent COBOL compiler
which I fooled around with and a great C compiler made by Mix)  and
Atari 800 (anyone remember Atari's Deep Blue C C compiler?)  Dabbled
in Java for awhile when it came out and off and on thru release 1.2.
Fooled around with Perl and totally spurned  Python (indentation for
statement grouping, YUCKKK!). Couple of years later, wanted to do some
GUI's fast, and 'lo and behold'... PYTHON to the rescue. I've been
learning and using it now for about a 1/2 year and love it!
BTW anybody know what SPOOL stands for? I do. Once won a magazine
subscription extension for answering that question...  No, you don't
win anything if you answer correctly :)

Oh well, so much for  reminiscing