would be nice: import from archive

Paul Rubin http
Fri Aug 27 17:47:18 EDT 2004

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
> I know of no reason to forbid support for such "signing", no.  If you
> want to offer a patch to zipimport to let it support whatever signing,
> encryption, or other devilry appeals to you, this is definitely the
> right moment if you hope to see it happen in Python 2.4.

I think the simplest is to just have zipimport understand jar files
and their signatures.  There's enough supporting infrastructure needed
that getting it in 2.4 is probably asking a bit much, though.

> If you mean patching zipimport to _forbid_ importing from any zipfile
> whatsoever, including a plain vanilla one, I think it's too late for
> THAT for Python 2.4

If signing is supported, then there has to be a way to reject imports
whose signatures don't verify.  It could be a runtime option or
something, I guess.  How does zipimport work anyway?  I don't see it
in the library doc index for 2.3.