cgi script: get the url of this page

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 10 11:44:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:43:03AM +0200, Peter van Kampen wrote:

> > is there a standard trick to get the url of the current page in a cgi
>
> import os
>
> script = os.environ["SCRIPT_FILENAME"]
great, thanks for the hint.  tho I think "script_filename" gives the
file name, not the internet url -- for that REQUEST_URI seems to be
better.  This is great, thanks!

> > script, or the url from which form data has been passed??  I want to
>
> Hmm. You can try HTTP_REFERER but it depends on several things (browser,
> server, cgi-implementation etc.) wether this reports something useful or
> not. It is probably more reliably to check REMOTE_ADDR if that would provide
> enough information.
hmm, REMOTE_ADDR doesn't seem to show up mosto f the time;
HTTP_REFERRER works great, though, long as the fom isn't sent to the
page it came from...

thanks much!
matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094