Alternative decorator syntax decision

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:26:09 EDT 2004

Bernhard Herzog <bh <at> intevation.de> writes:
> > It does look
> > like J2 is generally the preferred syntax so far
>
> At least of those who don't like the pie syntax at all.

Yes, this is what I intended.  Sorry if it wasn't clear.

> I don't know.  If J2 gets the majority of the votes for an alternative,
> it might be a good idea to have a second vote just between the pie
> syntax and J2.  I'd vote for pies.

I would advise against this.  GvR has said from the beginning that he doesn't
want to see a vote -- he wants to see convincing proposals and a more or less
unified community support.  He's also said that he'd be willing to consider
adding two syntaxes for a while if we could really agree on a single
alternative syntax.

So while the vote for non- at pie syntaxes seems to have been useful for focusing
our discussions for an alternative proposal, I can't see what use a vote
between J2 and @pie would do.  Perhaps I've missed something here though, so
I'm open to an explanation...

Steve