key words instead of predef

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Mon Aug 23 18:11:35 EDT 2004

I wrote:
> I expect to add another paragraph or two based on alternate keywords
> which people support (vocally *and* technically). I would say
> all of the "*def" candidates could work. In the interest of
> generating more content for that paragraph ;) here's the devil's
> advocate view of predef:
>
> 1) It's not a word. But then "def" isn't either.
> 2) If it is a word, it's a verb. Dependent suite keywords tend to be
> adverbial. Perhaps there's a more adverbial word which means, "set up
> these items for later processing". Unfortunately for English,
> this form
> of "predef" would be "predefining". Some synonym of
> "prepare", perhaps?
>
> I'll think about it some more.

How about "fix"? From OneLook (serious connotations):

verb:   make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular
purpose or for some use, event, etc (Example: "I was fixing to leave
town after I paid the hotel bill") verb:   set or place definitely
(Example: "Let's fix the date for the party!")
verb:   make fixed, stable or stationary (Example: "Let's fix the
picture to the frame")
verb:   cause to be firmly attached (Example: "She fixed her gaze on the
man")
verb:   put (something somewhere) firmly (Example: "Fix your eyes on
this spot") noun:   the act of putting something in working order again
verb:   restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or
broken
verb:   decide upon or fix definitely (Example: "Fix the variables")

and now the hilarious connotations (:

noun: an exemption granted after influence (e.g., money) is brought to
bear (Example: "Collusion resulted in tax fixes for gamblers")
noun:   something craved, especially an intravenous injection of a
narcotic drug (Example: "She needed a fix of chocolate")
noun:   informal terms for a difficult situation (Example: "He got into
a terrible fix")
verb:   kill, preserve, and harden (tissue) in order to prepare for
microscopic study
verb:   take vengeance on or get even (Example: "That'll fix him good!")

verb:   make infertile

roflmao,

Robert Brewer
MIS