'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3'

Martin Slouf xslom03 at vse.cz
Wed Aug 18 02:23:41 EDT 2004

ok, thanks for your time while answering my questions.

my python is

Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  1 2004, 16:13:07)
[GCC 3.2.3] on linux2
>>> import sys
>>> sys.stdout.encoding
'ISO-8859-2'

so im fine with it -- just a strange thing that it has used ascii, if
sys default is ISO-8859-2.

on the other hand: no matter now -- im 'overencoded' -- and i will
explicitly call conversion function from now on in my python scripts
(those are not programs :) to ensure myself everything is fine

i see that the solution i came with was quite right, though i didnt
much understand it.  now i know how it works and im satisfied.

thanks to all of you.

martin.