Feature Request: Current time in traceback

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Aug 20 07:21:03 EDT 2004

Thomas Guettler wrote:

> I think it would be good, if the current time
> would be in the traceback.
>
> This would make it easier to read logfiles with
> tracebacks of python scripts.
>
> I know that I can write a custom exception handler,
> but why not make it the default?

Two thoughts on why not:

1. Most loggers already write the timestamp before *anything*
that is written, so this would be duplicated information.
(Actually, I'm curious what logfile you have that *doesn't*
have this info already.)

2. This is the first time I've heard anyone suggest that
it's a common use case to actually want the traceback
to contain a timestamp.  I think normally tracebacks are
examined immediately when a human is present.  When they
are logged and it might be important to know the time, see 1.

-Peter