Are decorators really that different from metaclasses...

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Thu Aug 26 09:28:32 EDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:00:41 GMT, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 21:05:46 +1000, Anthony Baxter
><anthonybaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>def foo():
>>    __name__ = '%s_banana'%(__name__)
>>

>I'm not sure what you are driving at here, but ...
>
>Aa a practical matter, wouldn't it be nice to be able to use string
>substitution on a docstring placed in its usual location under def
>foo().
>
>That I need to place my __doc__ under the function can't be considered
>a good thing, or intutive thing.
>
>Sort of like having to do transformations after and under the function
>;)
>
>Art

But you can perhaps respond that with a2 the flexibility to put the
doc string where you think it belongs, before and above the function
(and I don't necessarily disagree, in that that it is always where I
find myself putting #comments (though perhaps I am putting them there
in particular to *distinguish* them from a docstring  (where would I
put comments if my docstring were above (perhaps below)))) -

that you and I will be placing are docstrings differently can be seen
both as a benefit *and as a cost*, of the a2 implmentation.

Art