A decorator syntax not yet mentioned (I think!)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 12 22:57:35 EDT 2004

Jeff Shannon wrote:

> Yes, this is personal preference, but it seems that it's a preference
> shared by many people -- isn't Python supposed to fit my brain, rather
> than forcing my brain into Python's shape?  The fact that one can get
> used to @pie-syntax doesn't mean it's intuitive.

I think it is interesting to compare the two on that issue.

Even some of the core folks talked about having to become used
to the @pie syntax before they decided they didn't mind it.

With decorate:, on the other hand, I don't think anyone except
perhaps those who have forced their brains to fit it would
feel that they have to become used to it.

That, to me, says that decorate: is Pythonic, while @pie is
clearly not.

And I definitely agree with you that if the feature is so
bizarre and shocking that it needs bizarre and shocking
syntax, we're better off leaving it out of Python.  At
least for now, until we've had a cooling off period to
reconsider whether there might not be a less bizarre and
shocking way of doing all this.

-Peter