Python future performance and speed

Neuruss luismg at gmx.net
Mon Aug 23 21:33:29 EDT 2004

> >I love Python. It's an excellent, fun, clear, well designed language
> >and it is fast enough for 90% of the cases. But you can't deny that
> >for some problem domains, it is slow. Very slow.
>
> That's true.  If that's what you'd said in the first place, nobody would
> have argued with you...

I already replied a similar comment in my previous post.

> If you're going to make a claim that speed is Python's main limitation,
> you'll need to provide evidence to support your assertion.

Same as above.

> >I didn't want to start a silly thread to discuss wether python is slow
> >or not. It is. Period.
>
> Nope.  Speed is relative.  Is a car slow?  Depends whether you're trying
> to go five feet, five miles, fifty miles, five hundred miles, or five
> thousand miles -- and it also depends on the alternatives available for
> traversing that distance.  Repeatedly claiming that Python is slow as an
> absolute statement only shows your ignorance and unwillingness to listen
> to other people.

I got your point and I used those lines myself many times.
I'm not making an absolute statement as though I'm a fundamentalist
fanatic of speed. What I mean, is that it is widely known that
scripting languages have a considerably lack of speed compared with
static typed languages (I didn't discover anything new, and this is
what I mean when I repeated the statement that python is not fast).
Again, as I already explained, I'm not saying that other people's
oppinion are wrong, when I used the word "nonsense" I wanted to say
that the whole discussion is in which we were all involved is
nonsense, because there's no use in discussing whether python is slow
or not. This is a proven fact.

Your arguments regarding the relativity of speed are correct and
nobody is denying it. But I am talking about this little percentage of
applications, that use to be the most relevant (usually) in enterprise
environments or in commercial applications where high volumes of data
are processed, as well as 3d programs, games, etc..).
My point is:
It is my humble oppinion (and I already acknowledged that I SHOULD
HAVE USED THIS TERMS BEFORE), that this is the main reason that
explains the little acceptance of Python in certain professional
circles.

Now, you can agree with me or not. In that case, your oppinion is
welcome, but I don't need a moral lesson as to how I should address
these topics.
I guess I already said what I have to say about my oppinions.

If I hurted someone I'm sorry!
I hope that we can move on with this topic and you can stop dissecting
my phrases looking for something new to disavow...

> >All the other comments on this thread, regarding the main limitation
> >for python's acceptance are true, but speed is critical, and this is
> >were all efforts should be concentrated.
>
> That's nice.  If that's your belief, what are you doing to work on this?

Again, I already replied this.

> >So my intention when I started this thread, was to learn more about
> >these projects, read other oppinions, get some news, etc... I didn't
> >mean to start a a nonsense discussion!
>
> Believe me, I'm sympathetic to the fact that English is not a comfortable
> language for you.  However, at this point, the problem appears to be a
> thinking problem, not a language problem.  You simply hold an opinion at
> odds with the experience of many expert Python programmers, and it's one
> that is almost guaranteed to start an argument.

I don't know how to comment on this without being recursive.