age of Python programmers

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Fri Aug 20 19:12:30 EDT 2004

Reid Nichol wrote:
> Tim Hochberg wrote:

[SNIP]

>> While quanta are typically very-very-very small, last I checked the
>> key feature of quantum transitions is not that they're small, but that
>> there are no intermediate steps. The object is in state A then it's in
>> state B, but it's never halfway (or anywhere) between. Like most
>> quantum stuff it's better not to think about that too closely.
>>
>> -tim
>>

> Check the definition of the word.

May I ask why? I assume you mean this (from another post):

> from dictionary.reference.com:
> The smallest amount of a physical quantity that can exist
> independently, especially a discrete quantity of electromagnetic
 > radiation.

I fail to see a signifigant conflict between this definition of quantum
and what I wrote above about quantum transitions. I'll even go out on a
limb and speculate that the origin of the term "quantum leap" is with
quantum, probably atomic, transitions and refers to a change where there
are no intermediate states and not "The smallest possible leap that can
exist".

[checks]

You might look at this, also from dictionary.reference.com:

quantum leap

A dramatic advance, especially in knowledge or method, as in
Establishing a central bank represents a quantum leap in this small
country's development. This term originated as quantum jump in the
mid-1900s in physics, where it denotes a sudden change from one energy
state to another within an atom. Within a decade it was transferred to
other advances, not necessarily sudden but very important ones.

-tim