multiline snippets with triple quotes

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Aug 12 16:02:09 EDT 2004

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:

>I sometimes use triple quotes in order to produce snippets of multiline
>code, like that:
>
>if output == html:
>    snip =    '''<html>
>else:
>    snip = 'Hello!'

[...]

>So, what would be the pythonic way to implement such multiline snippets?

IIRC, sequential strings with only whitespace in between them are
automatically concatenated.  So the above could be equivalently written as:

if output == html:
    snip =    "<html>\n"
                    "<body bgcolor="aqua"><h1>What's up?</h1>\n"
                    "</html>\n"
else:
    snip = 'Hello!'

This does have the disadvantage of requiring explicit newlines, however.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International