Confused about pep 318

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 5 15:51:26 EDT 2004

> The issue is not about rights to commit code, the issues are whether
>
> a) the question was ever publicly discussed at all and

Deorators have been discussed on PyDev at least since Jan 03.  The @ syntax
was introduced there in June04 with AB's post starting this thread:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-June/thread.html#45516

> b) whether any consensus was reached.

My impression as a mostly lurker who sees no immediate personal use for
decos is that there was a partial consensus on the desirability of
something, but not on the syntax.  The 'tie-breaking' procedure is Guido
decides, and so, with 2.4 looming, he did, at least as an experiment.

> > Yes, it would have been nice if PEP-0318 was updated in advance of
this.

> Not nice.  Essential.  It is fundamentally unfair to pretend to have
> discussed a proposal publicly that has always been grossly misrepresented
in
> the one place one would naturally look to find information about it.

Perhaps in this case the PSF should have paid someone to keep it updated
better.  The problem I see is that most strong advocates of some deco
syntax also had a favorite syntax and were not candidates writing an
even-handed treatment of options.

Terry J. Reedy