PEP 318 decorators are not Decorators

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Aug 14 18:38:15 EDT 2004

    Arien> 3) Won't most programmers think GoF decorators before
    Arien> compiler syntax tree decorators?

    Skip> Not if they are unfamiliar with the GoF patterns (myself included).

    Arien> Google:

BFD.  Sure, there are tons more application programmers in the world than
compiler geeks, so Google returns many more hits for GoF-style decorators.
So?  The thing is, just because in a verbal Rohrschach test you think "GoF"
when someone says "decorator" doesn't mean everybody else will (or should).
Hell, when someone says "decorator" I usually think of "Queer Eye for the
Straight Guy". <wink>

now-where-were-my-fabric-swatches?-ly, y'rs,

Skip