ANN: googlenews.py

Iñigo Serna inigoserna at terra.es
Wed Aug 25 16:54:12 EDT 2004

hi there,

while half the world is watching Olympic Games and the other half
is discussing about decorators, and as far as my good proposal
("#decorator" :) has been sadly ignored, I've spent last days writing
googlenews.py [1], a simple python script to retrieve news from the
http://news.google.com service.

Supported feeds: es, fr, de, it, nz, au, in, ca, uk, us
Can export to: rss2 xml and html files

Requirements:
  - Python 2.3+
  - BeautifulSoap (http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup)

I use it in a hourly cron script, building rss files which I read with
liferea :

[inigo at inigo inigo]$ cat /etc/cron.hourly/googlenews
#!/bin/bash
/home/devel/mine/googlenews/googlenews.py --rss-path=/tmp -w -q es
/home/devel/mine/googlenews/googlenews.py -cnes --rss-path=/tmp -w -q nz
exit 0
[inigo at inigo inigo]$

type "googlenews.py --help" for more info.

Hope you like it,
Iñigo

[1] http://inigo.katxi.org/devel/misc/googlenews.py
[2] http://liferea.sourceforge.net