Python future performance and speed

Sam Holden sholden at flexal.cs.usyd.edu.au
Sun Aug 22 01:12:37 EDT 2004

On 21 Aug 2004 20:59:35 -0700, Paul Rubin <> wrote:
> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>> >It seems there are quite a few projects aimed to improve Python's
>> >speed and, therefore, eliminate its main limitation for mainstream
>> >acceptance.
>>
>> What makes you think speed is Python's primary limitation for mainstream
>> acceptance?
>
> Well, whenever I want to write a mainstream application and think of
> using Python, my first reaction is that Python is too slow...

That you have have an irrational first reaction is hardly the "main limitation"
for python.

After all python has been used as the scripting engine for a  number of
commercial games - a domain that certainly cares about speed.

<http://www.pygame.org/interview/stevemoret.shtml> implies that a python script
runs on every frame for at least one commercial game.

--
Sam Holden