Yet another decorator proposal

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 03:19:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:06:33 +0200, Marco Aschwanden
<ppntwimbxffc at spammotel.com> wrote:

> Here is yet another decorator proposal:
>
> def sumSequencesLengths(var1, var2):
>      """Computes something very important.
>
>      __decorators__:
>          staticmethod
>      __parameters__:
>          var1=Sequences
>          var2=Sequences
>      __returns__:
>          int
>      """

Sorry - you're putting the decorators _inside_ the docstring? Why on
earth would you want to do that? In the god-knows-how-many years
we've had docstrings, we can't even agree on a common way to mark
these up, let alone attaching magic to their meanings...!

Note also that one of the advantages of adding decorators is that
it offers a cleaner solution for things like SPARK that currently put
parse rules inside a docstring. There's a bunch of other nasties
like that - e.g. Zope originally used the presence or absence of
a doc string to mean "public" or "private".

Anthony