age of Python programmers

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Wed Aug 18 17:21:24 EDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 05:11:20PM -0400, Phil Frost wrote:
> I wonder what portion of
> programmers these days have a real understanding of how the hardware
> they manipulate works? From this thread so far it seems like such
> knowledge is more common among Python programmers, which I find odd
> since Python isn't exactly a low level language. Perhaps it's because no
> one learns Python until becoming frustrated with 10 other languages?

Or because the average age so far is well over 30; back then assembly was
de rigueur and not much before that and you are physically flipping bits
with a +12v probe (if you were lucky there was eight lights above the
eight metal contacts).

Until recently "computer science" was spelled "electrical engineering" and
arguably before that "mechanical engineering".

-Jack