Unpythonic Python

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Aug 24 04:34:10 EDT 2004

I started having some weird problems with Python recently; they're so
weird that I can't begin to explain them.  All I can do is describe
the symptoms and hope someone else has a clue.  So here goes:

FreeBSD 4.2, Python 2.2.2.

I have a nightly cron job that downloads the boost cvs tarball from
SourceForge and bunzip2s it.  For about a year everything worked with
no problems. About a month ago the download started getting truncated
with no error reported.  Then bunzip2 reports corruption, of course.

I took the salient part of the download script, and added a reporthook
(undocumented in urllib, BTW) to the urlretrieve call:
--
import urllib
import os

def dump(*args):
    print args

#print 'downloading...'
os.chdir('/tmp')
urllib.urlretrieve('http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/boost-cvsroot.tar.bz2',
                  'boost-cvsroot.tar.bz2', dump)
---

When a recent download was truncated, the last lines of the dump were:

(1014, 8192, 34441987)
(1015, 8192, 34441987)
(1016, 8192, 34441987)
(1017, 8192, 34441987)
(1018, 8192, 34441987)
(1019, 8192, 34441987)
(1020, 8192, 34441987)
(1021, 8192, 34441987)
(1022, 8192, 34441987)
(1023, 8192, 34441987)

is 1023 a coincidence?  Maybe; here's the tail of another failure:

(2439, 8192, 34455413)
(2440, 8192, 34455413)
(2441, 8192, 34455413)
(2442, 8192, 34455413)
(2443, 8192, 34455413)
(2444, 8192, 34455413)
(2445, 8192, 34455413)
(2446, 8192, 34455413)
(2447, 8192, 34455413)
(2448, 8192, 34455413)

So I figured maybe we needed a newer version of Python.  I asked my
sysadmin at stlport.com to upgrade Python to the most recent release,
and all of a sudden my incoming mail started looping (see below).

I am classifying spam with SpamBayes and on my system the only way to
get it sorted into IMAP folders after classification is to send it to
myself.  Only messages lacking an X-Spambayes-Classification get
classified and sent back out, so I guess when Python was upgraded the
classification stopped adding the headers?  My sysadmin rolled Python
back to 2.2.2 and the mail problems stopped.  But I still have the
truncated download problem.

Any clues?
Thanks in advance!

-Dave