Pyhton Interpreter Startup time

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 12:29:20 EDT 2004

Neil Benn <benn at cenix-bioscience.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1556.1092304607.5135.python-list at python.org>...
> Hello,
>
>           I'm looking at a small app which would need a very quick
> startup time for the Python interpreter.  It doesn't do much (copying
> and caching of files, no GUI) but I need the Python interpreter to start
> up very quickly (<1 second on a Windows box).  Is there a way to have a
> 'stripped' down Python interpreter which can start up very quickly on a
> windows box.

This has been discussed before, there's definitely something "odd"
about the Windows startup time in comparison to the UNIX "instant"
startup.

> Once thing I was thinking of was to use PyExe to make a
> quick startup (does it compile down to C code, therefore not using the
> Python interpreter at runtime?).  Is this a possible solution?

Nope, no compiling to C/machine code, just bytecode, and the
interpreter is a DLL.

>     I observe that the second time I start python it starts up quicker
> but I'm assuming that this is dependent on the environment and can't be
> relied upon (or something like that).

Yeah, I think that's something to do with Windows caching.

I keep saying, we need a Python compiler.....