Python milestone releases

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:54:27 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:55:55 +0200, Thomas D'Tak <outpost at rumblefish.org> wrote:
> I do not want to complain here that Python is developing too
> fast; and I do not want to criticize Python's system of version
> numbers. But I want to ask for resp. suggest something like
> *official Python milestone releases*. (Please correct me if
> something like that does already exist and I am just not aware
> of it.)
>
> Official Python milestone release statements should discourage
> the use of older versions. Moreover, not each and every Python
> release should be a milestone release (clearly).

How exactly would this be different to our existing release process?
In case it's not clear, the webpages for old versions of Python already
state "This version is old, and you should use a newer version". Most
bugfix releases, I try to put words in to encourage people to upgrade.

I'm not sure how "2.3" isn't a milestone in any way that's meaningful.