Merging pdf documents with Python

Kyler Laird Kyler at news.Lairds.org
Thu Aug 19 23:09:10 EDT 2004

"Daryl Middleton" <dmidd at chartermi.net> writes:

>Can python be used to merge pdf documents into a single pdf file so that I
>do not have to manually insert each one. Thanks

I was using a free version of PageCatcher (ReportLab) for awhile
(after using PJscript and Ghostscript).  My projects manipulate
PDF submitted by hundreds of people so any incompatibility is
likely to be a problem.  ReportLab couldn't handle everything we
got last year so I started searching again.

I ended up with iText.
	http://itext.sourceforge.net/
It has been very solid.  There was a problem once but it was
quickly fixed.
	http://groups.google.com/groups?q=itext+kyler&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=v8vqk1-0k5.ln1%40snout.lairds.org&rnum=3

I usually hate using Java but I don't mind using iText through
Jython.  When I use it from Zope I use os.system like this.
	command = 'java -cp /var/lib/zope/instance/default/Extensions/itext-paulo-130.jar com.lowagie.tools.concat_pdf ' + string.join(piece_names) + ' ' + result_name

I'm quite happy with iText.  I like that it's Free and well-
maintained.  Being usable from Jython is a real bonus.

--kyler